When we choose any rug for our home, we don’t just purchase a piece of fabric but we buy an element of the room’s aesthetic composition. Also, you might have spent a fortune while buying that beautiful Persian rug in your living room and want to keep it as good as new for years to come. Undeniably, you will use every tactic to prevent rugs from getting any stains or any wear & tear.
However, there will be an occasional spillage and dust collection. According to leading microbiologists, rug fibers can be home to millions of microorganisms, such as mold spores, pollen particles, and dust mites. Thus cleaning your rugs regularly is not only a hygienic practice but also increases the rug’s longevity.
Hence here are some quick maintenance tips for floor rugs in Melbourne
- Now that you’ve purchased some nice rugs, the first step is to ensure that rugs are protected with quality padding underneath. This not only enhances comfort, but it also prevents slippage and significantly reduces wear.Furthermore, size, construction, and material determine the method to clean an area rug. Nevertheless, rugs must be thoroughly cleaned at least once a year.
- Depending on whether you have young children and/or pets, and if your rug is placed in a heavy foot traffic area, then a thorough cleaning might be necessary on a frequent basis.
- One of the basic cleaning methods includes vacuuming the rugs on a daily basis. Vacuum the fibers of the rug from one side, then turn the rug over and vacuum the other side to eliminate any remaining dust. While the process of vacuuming does not remove all deep rooted debris from the rug’s pile, but it certainly removes some of the dirt and dust and reduces allergens that are trapped within the fibers. Additionally, vacuuming keeps rugs fairly clean between two professional cleaning sessions. If not, consider availing of cleaning services for your shaggy rugs in Melbourne.
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight also causes the rugs to fade considerably. Thus keep your rugs away from sunlight as long as possible to avoid premature fading. If this measure is not practicable, then make sure you rotate the rugs as frequently as possible to ensure more uniform fading.
- Another major issue faced by many is that rugs get flattened in areas where they are most often stepped on. By rotating the rugs in different directions on a regular basis, you can keep the rug fabrics plumped and prevent flattening in only certain areas. Moreover, a furniture chair leg will also create divots in the rug, and even the most lightweight furniture will sink over the period of time. A pivot older than 5 years is almost certainly going to remain permanent so rotating and repositioning furniture will help to deter the damage.
- In case, if your rug does get stained, blotting a spill with paper towels is the first step to minimize the damage. Today various cleaning chemicals are available in the market. But it is best to avoid such harsh chemicals as they can permanently damage your area rugs if not used diligently. Meanwhile, applying water to stains is also not recommended, as dyes may run and bleed, discoloring the rug.
- In your everyday hectic life, you may forget to tackle a stain on the rug when it first occurred. In such cases, you may need serious stain removal products that are suitable with the material of the rug to remove such hard stains. While going forward with the stain-removing procedure, try to blot the stain from outside to inside and then rinse it thoroughly. The same procedure must be repeated if needed. However, try not to scrub the stained area too hard as this may damage the rug fibers.
- Additionally, when opting for rug cleaning solutions, always test out the solution on a smaller patch of the fabric before applying it to the whole carpet. Take a little solution and apply it to a small corner and let it settle for a few hours. Check carefully after rinsing it off to see if there is any color damage or fiber damage.
- Cleaning rugs in beige, yellow, white, and soft pastel colors can be a daunting task. It is highly difficult to remove dirt patches from these rugs that come from high traffic, dust accumulation, or just careless accidents. Most commonly used are the hallway runners Melbourne that is subjected to heavy foot traffic. Such rugs often need to be cleaned with the help of professional cleaning services.
- On the other hand, loose yarn ends from the hand-tufted rugs tend to rise above the pile surface. Many consumers being unaware of the fact that it is not a manufacturing fault, rather a characteristic of the handwoven rug. These loose yarns can be trimmed carefully or pushed through to eliminate any further damage to the rug.
Despite taking all the care, if your area rug still looks aged or faded, then you may choose to replace it with a newer rug. On the contrary, if your rugs have been damaged in natural calamities such as fires or floods, and you do not want to throw away your rugs, then seek help from professional rug cleaning service providers as early as possible to minimize the damage and loss.