Difference Between Rugs and Carpets
Some wise soul once said that too much familiarity can be a source of ignorance. In other words, we tend to ignore details about everyday things. It happens to all of us, even when it comes to distinguishing between anything as simple as rugs and carpets. For many individuals, these two words indicate the same thing. However, rugs and carpets are not the same products. Let’s understand the difference so that you will be able to choose the right carpets or rugs in Melbourne
The Difference Between Rugs and Carpet:
- The key distinction between rugs and carpets is their size with respect to the room area. Rugs usually reach up to 2 metres in length, while carpets are spread over an entire room. Secondly, rugs and carpets are used for a different purpose.
- Carpets serve as a permanent layering, whereas rugs can be changed frequently as and when you please. Various stores offer excellent varieties of floor rugs in Melbourne. You can replace rugs according to changing room décor. On the other hand, changing the entire carpet in the house can be an expensive affair and cannot be done frequently.
- Rugs also allow you to experiment to achieve different aesthetic looks. For example, you can lay two or more rugs to create an extra cushion for your feet. You can mix and match modern rugs and traditional rugs through layering technique to create a distinct look.
- Also, carpets are made to handle heavy foot traffic and thus have sturdier construction. Construction refers to their weaving, according to which they have different cleaning needs and methods.
- As carpets cover an entire room, they are covered with edging piece. Meanwhile, rugs are identified by side fringes or open ends. These side fringe patterns are provided to improve rugs’ aesthetic appeal.
- Rugs are easy to move around, i.e. you can change their placement according to furniture’s position. Thus you can clean your rugs by washing them or beat the dust out of them by taking them outside of your house. Meanwhile, carpets are permanently attached to the floor and can be cleaned only with the help of vacuum cleaners. If your carpet gets serious stains or spillage, you may require the help of professional rug cleaning services.
- Color is another significant differentiating factor between rugs and carpets. Carpets are usually available in a single colour, whereas you choose rugs that are available in a spectrum of colour. If you are a fan of contemporary aesthetic, choose from a range of modern rugs in Melbourne to achieve that desired look.
History of Rugs and Carpets:
Rugs and carpets have been in use for decades. The origin of carpet weaving practice is still unknown. However, various shreds of evidence suggest that initially rugs were made from animal skin or from natural fibres such as wool or cotton etc. As time progressed the art of weaving developed further. For example, an Egyptian fresco discovered in 1953 indicated that a handloom for weaving. Furthermore, one of the oldest knotted carpets was found in frozen tombs of Siberia, while its origin is believed to be from Armenia. Few of such discoveries unveiled beautiful art pieces from centuries ago.
The introduction of synthetic fibres gave rug makers new flexibility to innovate with different weaving patterns, designs and sizes for rugs. Additionally, modern technology enables weavers to combine diverse techniques and culture-specific patterns in order to produce unique products that are nothing but work of art.
Pros and Cons of Rugs:
- Rugs can be easily washed
- Can be moved to different places around the house. Also, rugs can be arranged based on furniture locations.
- They provide flexibility to choose from a range of colours and match with room décor, colour theme and utility requirements. For example, shaggy rugs can be used in your bedroom area to provide an extra cushioning for your feet.
- Rugs help you in defining spaces. They create a parting line between two distinct spaces.
- Also, if your family members are allergic to dust, then rugs may be a better option for you as compared to carpets, as rugs can be cleaned easily.
- Besides all the advantages, rugs have one major disadvantage. People tend to trip over rug ends.
- Rugs are usually utilized to create separation between two spaces, thus they may sometimes fail to provide a cohesive look to your room.
- Additionally, you cannot lay rugs natural fibre rugs if you have toddlers in your house. As it is difficult to clean stains from natural fibre rugs.
Pros and Cons of Carpets:
- Carpets are ideal for creating one unified look for your room. Carpets are laid from wall to wall and are secured to the flooring. Thus it gives the impression of uninterrupted flooring space.
- Moreover, there is no risk of tripping or slipping
- Carpets are difficult to clean. On the other hand, professional cleaning services are costly.
- Carpets tend to get worn out in heavy foot traffic areas. But, they cannot be replaced easily.
- Also, carpets are known to retain dust, mould and other small particles.
Final Word: Today’s market is flooded with various types of rugs and carpets. However, the availability of options makes it confusing for individuals to select between rugs or carpets. Visit our website to discover more about carpeting options.