A lot of rug buyers prefer to opt for area rugs for their homes instead of the wall to wall carpets. Area rugs are a perfect way to decorate your space and add style to your interiors and are the most flexible option. Area rugs can set a theme for different spaces and enhance the room. But how can you determine what area rug to pair with your interior?
Let us first start with understanding what area rugs are.
An area rug, as the name suggests, only covers a specific area of the room, unlike wall-to-wall carpets. They can also be laid over carpets depending on your room's needs. Homeowners popularly use area rugs to bring the entire space together and add warmth and personality to it. They are available in different sizes, colors, patterns, and textures and can also be custom-made to fit your interior's style.
Here are three essential tips on how to pick the best area rugs to match your interiors.
Like any other rug or carpet you could buy, investing in an area rug would require just as much thought to ensure it matches your interior and has good durability.
Before you finalize an area rug for your house, consider the following aspects:
The color of your area rug should complement the shades of your interior. Using lighter rugs opens up spaces, while darker rugs make a room feel cozier. A simple piece of advice for maintaining color combinations is to choose an accent color in the room that matches the rug's color.
When choosing a rug style, take your time and consider the mood of the room. Rugs come in a variety of styles, just like furniture and other accessories. The furnishings and accessories in your living room do not all have to match your area rugs, but they shouldn't be a complete mismatch as well. A stylish area rug that blends in well with the interior can change the personality of your room.
Area rugs with patterns can add life to a room. One can achieve the right balance in style by choosing the same pattern for the area rug and the other items in the space, such as the wall panel, paintings, or cushions. It is essential to ensure that pieces of furniture do not obscure the central or symmetrical theme of the rug.
To balance a room, it is imperative to choose a rug that is the right size. If you prefer, you can place only the front two legs of the sofa on the rug. It might also be a good idea to place all of your furniture on top of the rug. As a result, it gives the impression that the area is larger than it is.
It is critical to place the rug in the middle of the room and to keep the distance between each rug edge and the wall equal. An average-sized room should have at least 10 to 20 inches of bare floor between the rug and the wall. It is also possible to define and segregate different areas in a large room using two or more rugs.
Cleaning and maintenance are important aspects to consider when purchasing an area rug. The majority of rugs require frequent vacuuming, but high-pile rugs are more difficult to clean. Pick a rug that would be easy to maintain for you, or you have enough access to experts who can help you clean and maintain them.
Another important thing to consider when thinking about cleaning and maintaining an area rug is whether you have kids or pets at home. If yes, your area rug may have more exposure to damage, and choosing one that can't be easily stained would be a good choice for you.
Area rugs are certainly an expensive investment, but they bring along several benefits for your house and interiors.
1) They keep the flooring warm if you live in cold weather without heated flooring. The extra layer of an area rug would make the room cozier and more comfortable.
2) It will make your room look complete and tied together. Area rugs add personality to your room when paired well with the interiors.
3) If your room experiences high traffic or you have kids running around the house all day, area rugs can help dampen noise and make it easier for you to go about your day without any disturbance.
4) Not only do they reduce noise, but they also protect your flooring from any damage. Especially if you have hardwood flooring, an area rug can save high costs you would otherwise incur if your floor gets damaged.
5) Area rugs are easy to move from one room to another allowing you the flexibility to move them around. If you think you want to give some change to your place, you can simply move your area rugs between rooms, and your home will look new and stylish all over again.
Adding an area rug to your interior can change the look of the whole space. The next time you consider purchasing area rugs in Melbourne, visit Rugs Galore either at our Blackburn or Dandenong store, and our team will be happy to help you pick the perfect area rug for your place.